
My apologies for the long wait between posts due to being so busy the last week. Nonetheless, I am back and rearing to go with a new restaurant review! So without further a do, let's delve into some food and open our eyes to the atmosphere.
Today, I am reviewing Mooney's Sports Bar and Grill, an establishment that has skyrocketed in popularity since it opened in 2010. Mooney's is located on 1531 Military Road in Kenmore, NY, which is conveniently located across the street from the Mil Sher Hockey Center where thirsty and hungry players after games can come across the road and relax.
Now many different bars across Buffalo have their own unique specialties, but I have never seen a place that have life size replicas of the Blues Brothers dancing on top of it! The first thing you see before you even pull up to park are Jake and Elwood doing their thing perched above Mooney's. As you walk in you are instantly hit with in my mind, the largest collection of sports memorabilia I have ever seen in any restaurant. From framed jerseys of Pat Lafontaine, Emmitt Smith (shudders), and OJ Simpson (a former patron of the predecessor of Mooney's, St. James Bar) to helmets, posters, and jerseys available for purchase! They have a Thomas Vanek jersey there for $90, you give them the money, you can take it home.
With many different menu items that stem from the bar staples like Buffalo Wings, chicken fingers, and burgers, to homemade macaroni and cheese and italian dishes serving up some fine spaghetti and meatballs, chicken alfredo, etc. Well being the pizza connoisseur that I am, I ordered an individual sized cheese and pepperoni pizza ($4.50). After fifteen minutes the pie came in piping hot and ready to go.

The Pizza had a real nice size and thickness for under $5, as I looked underneath to see if it was properly cooked underneath I saw a golden brown crust that was only well cooked on parts of the crust. The rivets that were uncooked gave me some mixed feelings over how it would taste.

As I take my first bite, the cheese is very powerful, packed with a lot of saltiness and creaminess. The pepperoni on the outside looks like it has some spice to it, only to provide a little zing but not enough to really drive it home. The sauce had chunks of tomatoes inside which is either A) homemade or B) Mooney's uses chunky sauce in their dishes, either way the sauce was nearly non-existent flavor wise. As I traverse through the pie, the crust has a nice flakiness to it that can hold off the intense flavor of the cheese that seemed to overpower the entire pizza.
As I finished the pizza, I felt very full because of the richness of the cheese that tasted wonderful, but at the same time sorta took away from the other components involved in the pizza. But with its flaws, the price is almost unbeatable along with the rather generous portions you receive. In the end, the pizza left me surprisingly unsatisfied from an establishment that has grown in popularity the last year. But the environment and atmosphere over at Mooney's for Sabres games is purely something to experience. Remember to keep that in mind when you have friends that want to find a place to watch the game.
So here is my report card for Mooney's Bar and Grill
Recommended Dishes:
Mooney's Spaghetti and Meatballs ($6.50)
Garlic Parmesan Wings From The Pit (Single $9.00) (Double $12.75)
Chicken Taco ($5.25)
Atmosphere: 4.5/5
This is the dream man cave, nostalgic sports memorabilia and a patio opened by a garage door installed in the restaurant. Waitressing: 2.5/5
Food came rather late and waitress did not make enough stops to the table.
Food Quality: 3/5
It depends on what dish you dine on, the recommended dishes above are shoe-ins for top notch flavor and freshness. The pizza though left me with a rather unsettling feeling.
Overall: 10/15
Great place for a Sabres game and a gig, the food is improving, time will only tell if Mooney's has what it takes to be a dominant establishment for the bar flies who look for a bite to eat and a TV for the game.
For More Information You Can Check Out Mooney's Sports Bar and Grill at:
mooneyssportsbar.com
Until then, Peace Out!
LL
P.S: What is your take on the new Winnipeg Jets logos?
Comments
Post a Comment