Buffalo Pizza Bash Recap
Surrounded by numerous pizzerias, desserts, and great people, the 2012 Buffalo Pizza Bash was without a doubt the best one out of the three years I have attended.
I tried all of the pizzerias that attended the festival, I judged them according to shape, consistency, crust, sauce, cheese, and freshness of ingredients in each slice. Here is the low-down on each place, we go from lowest ranked, to number one overall. Overall is on a scale from 0-5. And away we go!
10) Big Vinny's Pizza
3289 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY
Big Vinny's definitely goes by their name, the thickness of their slices are incredible! On the other hand, most of the thickness comes from the obscene amount of cheese on it. The crust was also thick, but was undercooked. And the cheese also gave an unsettling feeling halfway through eating the slice. The only positive I could make out of it was the juicy pepperoni.
Pro's:
-well cooked and juicy pepperoni
Con's:
-too much cheese
-little flavoring in the sauce
-undercooked crust
Overall 1 out of 5
9) Porter's Pub
707 Main St. Tonawanda, NY
Porter's is known more for their softball leagues than their service according to their critiques from patrons on Yahoo!. Their slice was rather underwhelming, lukewarm, and lacked any punch of flavor. The cheese tasted like it was barely cooked, along with a little too much dough. I'd give them a break knowing they are not a primary pizzeria but if you attend a major event like the Bash, you gotta bring your a-game. They did not this year.
Pro's
-tasty crust
Con's
-no flavor in cheese
-too doughy
-not enough kick
Overall: 2 out of 5
8) Gerace's Broadway Pizza
4673 Broadway. Depew, NY
Gerace's offered friendly faces clad in pink t-shirts, but their pizza although promising, lacked the balance of a well made slice. The pepperoni was all on top of the pizza, leaving the bottom half bare with little cheese as well. It is a work in progress, but I see promise as the crust was cooked very well. All they need is some better cheese and more balance and they got something.
Pro's
-golden crust/nice flavor
Con's
-bland cheese
-lack of balance between pepperoni/cheese
Overall- 2 out of 5
7) La Rosa Pizza
4545 Transit Rd. Buffalo, NY
Now we get into some specialty pizzas for the time being. La Rosa actually did not offer a standard cheese and pepperoni slice, but did provide a steak and bacon slice which peaked my interest. The quality of the their bacon is amazing, but the steak on the other hand needed a little more zing to compliment the saltiness of the bacon. A little pepper or some A-1 would have put this baby over the top. But the crust was cooked very well, although a little doughy on the back end. Cheese was good but not great. Overall a solid piece of pie.
Pro's
-fresh bacon/very flavorful
-pleasant aftertaste
-golden crust
Con's
-little more kick in the steak
-crispier back crust
Overall: 3.5 out of 5
Tied 5th) La Nova Pizza/Mister Pizza
Now I know what you're going to say, "How is La Nova not first!?". I will give you the same answer as I will also for Mister Pizza. As flavorful and delicious their pies are, they are way too salty! Both of these local chains fell into the trap of having too much flavor. The grease out of both slices was too much for me to stomach. Their cheese and crust are among the best the city has to offer, but their heavy amount of pepperoni was too much to ask for. Both will continue to thrive in Buffalo, but this year was not their year at the Bash.
Pro's
-great flavor in cheese
-crispy crust
-juicy pepperoni
Con's
-too much grease
-overloaded pepperoni
Overall: 3.75 out of 5
4) Classic Pizza
5360 Genesee St. Williamsville, NY
Now I have had a 'Beef on Weck' pizza at Mooney's Bar and Grill, but never have I tried a "Thanksgiving" pizza. This was something I never thought would be possible! The slice contained mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and of course turkey. Surprisingly, the slice did not leave me stuffed like the bird we consume on turkey day. But it was very wholesome, and would be perfect for a winter evening. I do not have a rating for this pizza, but for the creativity and execution of a pizza dreamed of by guys like me, it cracks the top five.
3) Grasso's Pizza
5202 Transit Rd. Depew, NY
The defending cheese and pepperoni champion from last year much to my surprise did not feature a slice of that kind this year. But they did leave me with some alternatives. They offered a pizza I didn't even see on their menu! It was a cheeseburger pizza. I kid you not, that this tasted just like I was enjoying a fresh burger at a restaurant. The beef was fresh and succulent, the mozzarella and american cheeses blended well together, and the crust held the slice up nicely. I would not expect anything less from a pizzeria of their caliber.
Pro's
-amazing beef quality
-perfectly cooked cheese
-stable crust
Con's
-little too much american cheese
Overall: 4 out of 5
2) Gianni Mazia's Pizzeria
10325 Main St. Clarence, NY
Without a doubt the most improved pizza from last year to this year. Gianni Mazia's stepped up their game and produced a slice that should be taken seriously for many Bash's to come. They offer wood fired pizza which is a treat of how they did it back then. To the slice itself, it was fresh, had a nice smell, and shaped perfectly. The biggest difference from last year was that their sauce was sweeter but still held onto the saltiness and spice it had before. The pepperoni had a nice kick after consuming each bite. The only flaw I saw was that the crust was a little dry. But no doubt that it was delicious!
Pro's
-fresh
-nice smell
-best sauce in competition
-great consistency/texture
Con's
-dry crust
Overall: 4.5 out of 5
NOW, THE WINNER FOR BEST PIZZA FOR THE 2012 BUFFALO PIZZA BASH IS....
1) Chick-N-Pizza Works
129 Abbot Rd. Buffalo/2940 Union Rd. Cheektowaga
Their slice was enormous. The components and ingredients all worked together with the perfect blend of saltiness, sweetness, and firmness made Chick-N-Pizza Works the champ for 2012. Unlike the other stands that offered sample sizes, they offered full blown mega slices for the same price. At first, I was reluctant into trying it based on the fact I was near full from all the pizza I ate. But I buckled down and tried it. And let me tell you, this pizza may rival my #1 overall in Bob and John's for best in WNY!
Pro's
-huge slice
-great smell
-sweet/salty sauce with nice spices
-nice fully cooked crust
-perfect balance of all parts of the pizza
Con's
-None
Overall: 5 out of 5
So that is it. Thus concludes another great year at the Buffalo Pizza Bash! Sunday from 12-5pm, day two of the 'Bash' will be at the Eastern Hills Mall on 4545 Transit Rd. in Williamsville. I will discuss more on BLT-The Best Sandwich on Radio Wednesday from 6-8pm on 91.3FM WBNY (or www.wbny.org). Stay hungry!
Lars
p.s follow me on Twitter @larslewis12 and "like" BLT-The Best Sandwich on Radio on Facebook!
p.p.s I have yet to try Pauly's Pizza that was at the Bash so when I have for breakfast tomorrow I will include it in the list!
I tried all of the pizzerias that attended the festival, I judged them according to shape, consistency, crust, sauce, cheese, and freshness of ingredients in each slice. Here is the low-down on each place, we go from lowest ranked, to number one overall. Overall is on a scale from 0-5. And away we go!
10) Big Vinny's Pizza
3289 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY
Big Vinny's definitely goes by their name, the thickness of their slices are incredible! On the other hand, most of the thickness comes from the obscene amount of cheese on it. The crust was also thick, but was undercooked. And the cheese also gave an unsettling feeling halfway through eating the slice. The only positive I could make out of it was the juicy pepperoni.
Pro's:
-well cooked and juicy pepperoni
Con's:
-too much cheese
-little flavoring in the sauce
-undercooked crust
Overall 1 out of 5
9) Porter's Pub
707 Main St. Tonawanda, NY
Porter's is known more for their softball leagues than their service according to their critiques from patrons on Yahoo!. Their slice was rather underwhelming, lukewarm, and lacked any punch of flavor. The cheese tasted like it was barely cooked, along with a little too much dough. I'd give them a break knowing they are not a primary pizzeria but if you attend a major event like the Bash, you gotta bring your a-game. They did not this year.
Pro's
-tasty crust
Con's
-no flavor in cheese
-too doughy
-not enough kick
Overall: 2 out of 5
8) Gerace's Broadway Pizza
4673 Broadway. Depew, NY
Gerace's offered friendly faces clad in pink t-shirts, but their pizza although promising, lacked the balance of a well made slice. The pepperoni was all on top of the pizza, leaving the bottom half bare with little cheese as well. It is a work in progress, but I see promise as the crust was cooked very well. All they need is some better cheese and more balance and they got something.
Pro's
-golden crust/nice flavor
Con's
-bland cheese
-lack of balance between pepperoni/cheese
Overall- 2 out of 5
7) La Rosa Pizza
4545 Transit Rd. Buffalo, NY
Now we get into some specialty pizzas for the time being. La Rosa actually did not offer a standard cheese and pepperoni slice, but did provide a steak and bacon slice which peaked my interest. The quality of the their bacon is amazing, but the steak on the other hand needed a little more zing to compliment the saltiness of the bacon. A little pepper or some A-1 would have put this baby over the top. But the crust was cooked very well, although a little doughy on the back end. Cheese was good but not great. Overall a solid piece of pie.
Pro's
-fresh bacon/very flavorful
-pleasant aftertaste
-golden crust
Con's
-little more kick in the steak
-crispier back crust
Overall: 3.5 out of 5
Tied 5th) La Nova Pizza/Mister Pizza
Now I know what you're going to say, "How is La Nova not first!?". I will give you the same answer as I will also for Mister Pizza. As flavorful and delicious their pies are, they are way too salty! Both of these local chains fell into the trap of having too much flavor. The grease out of both slices was too much for me to stomach. Their cheese and crust are among the best the city has to offer, but their heavy amount of pepperoni was too much to ask for. Both will continue to thrive in Buffalo, but this year was not their year at the Bash.
Pro's
-great flavor in cheese
-crispy crust
-juicy pepperoni
Con's
-too much grease
-overloaded pepperoni
Overall: 3.75 out of 5
4) Classic Pizza
5360 Genesee St. Williamsville, NY
Now I have had a 'Beef on Weck' pizza at Mooney's Bar and Grill, but never have I tried a "Thanksgiving" pizza. This was something I never thought would be possible! The slice contained mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and of course turkey. Surprisingly, the slice did not leave me stuffed like the bird we consume on turkey day. But it was very wholesome, and would be perfect for a winter evening. I do not have a rating for this pizza, but for the creativity and execution of a pizza dreamed of by guys like me, it cracks the top five.
3) Grasso's Pizza
5202 Transit Rd. Depew, NY
The defending cheese and pepperoni champion from last year much to my surprise did not feature a slice of that kind this year. But they did leave me with some alternatives. They offered a pizza I didn't even see on their menu! It was a cheeseburger pizza. I kid you not, that this tasted just like I was enjoying a fresh burger at a restaurant. The beef was fresh and succulent, the mozzarella and american cheeses blended well together, and the crust held the slice up nicely. I would not expect anything less from a pizzeria of their caliber.
Pro's
-amazing beef quality
-perfectly cooked cheese
-stable crust
Con's
-little too much american cheese
Overall: 4 out of 5
2) Gianni Mazia's Pizzeria
10325 Main St. Clarence, NY
Without a doubt the most improved pizza from last year to this year. Gianni Mazia's stepped up their game and produced a slice that should be taken seriously for many Bash's to come. They offer wood fired pizza which is a treat of how they did it back then. To the slice itself, it was fresh, had a nice smell, and shaped perfectly. The biggest difference from last year was that their sauce was sweeter but still held onto the saltiness and spice it had before. The pepperoni had a nice kick after consuming each bite. The only flaw I saw was that the crust was a little dry. But no doubt that it was delicious!
Pro's
-fresh
-nice smell
-best sauce in competition
-great consistency/texture
Con's
-dry crust
Overall: 4.5 out of 5
NOW, THE WINNER FOR BEST PIZZA FOR THE 2012 BUFFALO PIZZA BASH IS....
1) Chick-N-Pizza Works
129 Abbot Rd. Buffalo/2940 Union Rd. Cheektowaga
Their slice was enormous. The components and ingredients all worked together with the perfect blend of saltiness, sweetness, and firmness made Chick-N-Pizza Works the champ for 2012. Unlike the other stands that offered sample sizes, they offered full blown mega slices for the same price. At first, I was reluctant into trying it based on the fact I was near full from all the pizza I ate. But I buckled down and tried it. And let me tell you, this pizza may rival my #1 overall in Bob and John's for best in WNY!
Pro's
-huge slice
-great smell
-sweet/salty sauce with nice spices
-nice fully cooked crust
-perfect balance of all parts of the pizza
Con's
-None
Overall: 5 out of 5
So that is it. Thus concludes another great year at the Buffalo Pizza Bash! Sunday from 12-5pm, day two of the 'Bash' will be at the Eastern Hills Mall on 4545 Transit Rd. in Williamsville. I will discuss more on BLT-The Best Sandwich on Radio Wednesday from 6-8pm on 91.3FM WBNY (or www.wbny.org). Stay hungry!
Lars
p.s follow me on Twitter @larslewis12 and "like" BLT-The Best Sandwich on Radio on Facebook!
p.p.s I have yet to try Pauly's Pizza that was at the Bash so when I have for breakfast tomorrow I will include it in the list!

Comments
Post a Comment